Thursday, May 20, 2010

Good Old Yut Kee Restaurant, Jalan Dang Wangi, Kuala Lumpur

I guess everyone knows about this restaurant which has been operating since 1928. Yut Kee is probably one of the oldest Hainanese restaurants in Kuala Lumpur that still survive up to this day. The dishes that they serve ranges from local noodles like Hokkien fried bihun to semi western fares such has Hainanese pork chop. They also offer other dishes like roti babi, kaya toast, beef stew, rolled pork roast, beef noodles, fried misua, belachan fried rice, Hainanese Chicken Chop, Lam Mee, Lamb chop, Fried Hokkien mee and many more which I could not remember. The setting inside is nothing fancy but every time I walked into this restaurant, I felt like going back into the pre war era. They still have all the old furniture like tables with marble tops and old wooden antique counter. Recently, I went to Yut Kee with my buddy for lunch. He ordered Roti Babi (RM7.50) which is actually fried bread with pork fillings inside; while I ordered the Hainanese chicken chop (RM8.00). The chicken chop comes with some gravy and condiments like potatoes. The meals here might look simple but they are quite delicious. I wash down the chicken chop with a good hot cup of coffee (RM1.30). Address and telephone number Kedai Makanan Yut Kee 35, Jln Dang Wangi 50100 Kuala Lumpur Tel: 03 26988108 Open daily (8 am – 5 pm) & closed on Mondays Latitude 3.156157 Longitude 101.700203 Map to Yut Kee Restaurant

16 comments:

cleffairy said...

Ohhhhh... hungry, hungry! LOL.. lemme go and eat first!

Christine said...

since 1928! wow

manglish said...

ya i think i went there b4 when i 1st move to KL - a must visit restaurant ahahha always full one rite....

Love2cook Malaysia said...

I'm very bad with KL! Wow, this restaurant is really old na...bet the food tastes really good! I love Hainanese Chicken Rice! Yummmm ;)

Reanaclaire said...

Pete, what is roti babi? char siew roti? wanna try that..something new..

Anonymous said...

Pete, I have heard of this well-known kopitiam. My dad used to buy delicious egg-roll cakes from there. I have heard about the chicken chop. I may have eaten there before...but can't remember.

Hmm..I must try out the food one day.

mNhL said...

Oh..I have no idea of this restaurant. Only know one restaurant (forgot the name) opposite KL Sentral serves very delicious Hainanese Chicken Chop and 'mun fan'. Did not go there for so long already. Miss the food there.

Ayie said...

i bet that hainanese chicken tastes good, i love the hainanese rice back home but never tried with chickn

tuti said...

anything with roti i sapu.

smallkucing said...

I heard of it but paiseh betul coz never ate there before. Seldom go that area.

Unknown said...

I love roti kahwin bakar hehehe..the kaya is marrrrrrrrvelous.

xin said...

i have been hearing so much good stuff about this place but yet to have a chance to visit

Chris said...

It's a very old shop..

Yee Ling said...

heart bout this rest very famous but since it's located in the city centre..hardly go

Sook said...

I would love to go visit the restaurant someday! Looks delicious!

mommy to chumsy said...

oh i had their pork chop recently. yummy. too bad i didn't have the roti babi:( now my tummy is growling just thinking about it :D