Thursday, June 10, 2010

Simple Steam Minced Pork with Tong Choi Recipe

This is a simple recipe but my wife loves this dish very much. Tung choi is actually preserved cabbage. Tung choi (Tang Chai in Hokkien) can be a little pungent and salty, so I would normally soak it in water for a short while before I cooking it. Tung choi helps to bring out the pork flavour. The steamed minced pork with tung choi produces a little gravy that is nice and sweet. My kids like to put the gravy on their rice.

Ingredients
Pork, 300 gms, minced
Tung choi, 2 tablespoons, soak in water and drain
Light soya sauce, 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste

Mix the tung choi with the minced pork. Add in the soya sauce and salt to taste. Spread the mixture on a steaming tray. Steam the minced pork in high heat for 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve. PS Add a little pork fat to enhance the taste.

13 comments:

smallkucing said...

i usually use Mui Choy...forgot there was something about Tong Choy...Thats why didnt use.

Christine said...

you always have great ideas Pete, will have to try this

manglish said...

ohhhhhhhhh this dish is soooooooo traditional...i think every msian grow up with this dish aahahahh....good one good one

MaryMoh said...

ooooh...I love this one. I remember eating his when I was young.It's really delicious with porridge too. I have to cook this one soon.

suituapui said...

Eyew...my missus favourite recipe. She'll cook one HUGE bowl...and the two of us would struggle to finish - mainly me, of course! Eeeeee....wouldn't want to see that as long as I can... LOL!!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I also like this dish...

Anonymous said...

Steamed minced pork with salted eggs is another alternative. These are comfort food in most M'sian household.

Caroline said...

hey just ate it last night! =p nice!

Reanaclaire said...

This dish my favorite since I was young.. and now it has become my kids' favorite dish too.. guess it will be for many generations.. hahaha...
steam with "tai tau choy" also nice or salted fish too!! yummy!

mommy to chumsy said...

oh this is one of my favourite dish of all time :D

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

My favorite!!! yummy.

Jen Cheung said...

my all time favorite dish! I just had that last night for dinner! it was delicious :)

Annie Q said...

my kids and my favourite!!