Friday, August 19, 2011

A 'Whole' Bunch of Fresh Shallots


   I bought this whole 'bunch' of shallots (scallions, Allium cepa var. aggregatum) from a Malay vendor at the Kepong Baru Wet Market. This is the first time I came across shallots being sold with the leaves (aka spring onions) still intact. However the leaves are already dried up.
Anyway, these shallots are very fresh. You can see the shinny, clean and brightly coloured skins in the first photo, unlike those that are sold loose (without the dried stalks).

Ok, gotta go.....now can cook  fried bihun (rice vermicelli) with crispy fried shallots as garnish! Yum Yum!

19 comments:

lena said...

at first i thought the leaves are those dried vegetables (choy kon)

PFx said...

You hold the bunch like you're trying to stir out the vampires out of your home. Hahaha.

Christine said...

they look wonderful, Pete!

Unknown said...

This fresh bawang is sweet ya Pete. The grocery store neat my place sells this too.
Now you are making me hungry with your bihun la

WendyinKK said...

I wish my skin is as cantik as the shallot's skins, LOL.

[SK] said...

impressive!! and this is the first time i'm seeing this too!!

Yannie said...

First time seeing this. This is good not only for fried bee hun, good for chee cheong fun, loh mei fun and etc.

suituapui said...

This type not so wangi... The darker-coloured ones, more roundish, are better.

wenn said...

i love our own fried shallots..

Alice Law said...

Ehhhh, interesting, 1st time see a bunch of shallots!

Merryn said...

1st time me seeing them that way too!

Aunty Liew said...

Me too! 1st time seeing fresh shallots!

I AM A BLOGGER said...

quite interesting!
Nvr seen before onions in this way^^

willie a.k.a reptoz said...

Interesting! I have not seen one.

yvonne said...

I love shallots, but hate chopping them - makes me tear-y only.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Hokkien saying 'chiak chang bo liam boey' hahaha

Hayley said...

Looking forward to see your dishes with these shallots~

mNhL said...

my first time seeing shallot like that too! So fresh!

Mummy Moon said...

wow, first time seeing a bunch of shallots!