Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Family Daily Bread, Pan Fried Chicken Breast with Hailam Style Chicken Chop Sauce – Recipe

I have been baking bread at home ever since some of the major suppliers of bread increased their price by 20 sen (cents) per loaf just because the price of sugar increases by 20 sen per kilogramme. I am against the steep increase of the price of bread because they definitely don’t use 1 kilogramme of sugar for one loaf of bread! Anyway, home made bread is so much better as I do not use bread softener, preservative or any other artificial ingredients. It takes me only 10 minutes to prepare the dough which I will leave it aside for the yeast to work for at least 2 hours. Then I will put the expanded dough in my bread pan and let it rise further for around half and hour. The baking takes only 25 minutes. Although I use normal flour the texture and final result turns out to be almost the same as the one sold commercially! This morning, my family had a nice breakfast of freshly baked bread and pan fried chicken breast with Hailam Style Chicken Chop Sauce.

Home Made Bread
Flour, 5cups, (I use normal flour but for better result use bread flour or high protein flour)
Dry Yeast, 1 teaspoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Sugar, 2 table spoons
Milk powder, 1 table spoon
Butter, 2 table spoons
Shortening, 2 table spoons

Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add in the butter. Add water and knead the dough until they are well mix. If you want soft and moist bread, add more water to the dough. Let the dough rise for around 2 hours. Then make a few folds with the dough and put it in a well greased bread pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 200 Deg C.

Marinade
Chicken Breast, 4 pcs
Worcestershire sauce, 1 table spoon
Hickory Barbecue sauce, 1 table spoon
Cumin, ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice, from ½ fruit
Honey, 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Corn flour, 1 table spoon

Heat up non-stick wok and add in a little vegetable oil. Fry the chicken breast until it turns golden brown. Take out the chicken and leave the leftover gravy in the pan.

Hailam Style Sauce
Onion, 1 pc, cut into four
Tomato, 1 pc, cut into four
Carrot, 1 pc, diced
Cauliflower, around ½ rice bowl, cut into bite size
Celery, 2 stalks, cut into small pieces (optional)
Potato, 1 large, diced
Butter, 1 tablespoon
Corn flour mixed with water to thicken gravy
Thyme, ½ teaspoon (optional)
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
A dash of soya sauce
Water

Use the left over oil and gravy in the pan to caramelise the onions. Add around 3 bowls of water. Add in the potato and let it boil until the potato turn soft. Put in the rest of the ingredients. If there is leftover marinade, add this in as well. Bring to a boil and thicken the gravy with corn flour water mixture. Pour the gravy over the pan fried chicken and serve. You can dip the home made bread in the gravy. Nice!

19 comments:

suituapui said...

Wah! So lihai...can make own bread. I don't think I can, never tried.

Anonymous said...

Making your own bread is always better. No preservatives.

I like eating bread with curry chicken :)

xin said...

hey daddy i think u are really really amazing!!!! gosh! even my mom has never baked anything before

Reanaclaire said...

Sama dengan STP..u r too lihai.. dont think i will ever know how to make bread.. u r really terror, can do so much one..put me to shame.. hahha...

Annie Q said...

Wow wow wow...i like your home made bread!! Look very yummy, how nice can be your neighbour. hahahhahah

CheaHSan said...

Whoa price increased 20 sen per loaf just becoz sugar increased 20 per kg? Broad daylight robbery. Bread with curry chicken is my favorite, Mei Teng gimme 5.

CathJ said...

wow.. you make bread??? Very nice.... I always wanted to make my own bread... tQ for the recipe ya.. ^_^

Yee Ling said...

The bread recipe seems to be easy to follow for newbie liked me. I will give a try.

ChloeRuoyi said...

Great! I love homemade bread. I'm seriously considering buying a breadmaker :-) I love all your other homecooked food too.

manglish said...

hmmm cannot make this one, but i am making mee jawa this wkend i hope...happy cny!!! :)

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

The pan fried chicken seems to little for me. Hahahah

MaryMoh said...

Wow...that's such an awesome breakfast you have! That's nutritious, delicious and filling.

Rebecca Saw said...

Lovely! Finally a Hainese Chic chop recipe!! Thks!!

foongpc said...

I wish I can make my own bread too! All the commercial breads sold outside contain preservatives!

smallkucing said...

wah lau eh...become Roti Man also ah?

Anyway, let me wish you and your family a Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi fatt Chai.

Come morning will be off lu....wil b back to visit your blog once I've got internet connection again

Christine said...

you're inspiring me to start making my own bread. it's a good thing.

[SK] said...

you sure can save a lot on food huh?? everything also you can make it on your own~~ :)

Merryn said...

fuiyo! fuiyo! i wanna be ur anak too! fuiyo!!!!

Ayie said...

it wi;l; be very nice if you can be my neighbor right now and give me foods while i'm recovering =P