Monday, July 13, 2009

Cooking Hard Boil Eggs Using Rice Cooker – Hassle Free and Easy Way!

We normally use boiling water to make hard boiled eggs but there is another easier and hassle free method that you might be interested to try. I learned how to cook hard boiled egg using rice cooker from an email forwarded to me recently. I don’t know where the original source of this email is from but the method works really well when I tried it! The best thing is the egg will not crack if you use rice cooker to cook it and the time taken is also faster than using boiling water. As you only use a very small amount of water, very little energy (electricity) is needed to generate the steam that cooks the eggs. Therefore this method saves energy, money, time and water!

1) First wet some tissue papers (3 to 4 pieces) and put them at the base of your rice cooker pot. Then put the eggs on top of the wet tissue papers.
2) Set the rice cooker to ‘cook’ just like you are cooking rice. When the light turns green, the eggs will be ready. Do not open the rice cooker cover yet. Leave the eggs in the hot rice cooker for another 2 minutes to ensure that they are perfectly cooked.
3) Tada!!!!!!, your perfect hard boil eggs!
4) Hard boil eggs with skin peeled off. See, they are perfectly cooked using the rice cooker way.
Then........I made some stripes on the eggs using dark soya sauce and put them in my ‘Tau Eu Bak’ (Soya Sauce pork belly). I told my kids that these are dinosaur’s eggs! Unfortunately, my kids didn’t believe me but they were very happy to eat the ‘dinosaur’ eggs. Gosh, it is not easy to bluff little kids nowadays! ROLF!

30 comments:

suituapui said...

Hahahahaha!!! Dinosaur eggs indeed! Hey! Can cook hardboiled egges like that? No need to submerge in water? Must try one of these days! Jimat air!

Pete said...

STP : Save energy as well. You only heat up a very small amount of water. The heat from the steam will cook the eggs!

ladyviral said...

I read this method of boiling hard boiled eggs too. But we can't control how cooked the egg is can we?

But I guess cooking a few hard boiled hard is a much more saver then a few of them. Can't ask my mom to try, she will think I am insane and start nagging... so I will try next time :P.

Dino eggs huh? Why didn't you tell it was Ostrich eggs? :P

Pete said...

ladyviral : Yes we cannot control how cooked the egg. But I might want to try to do half boiled ones using a timer. Maybe it will work.
They have seen ostrich eggs before so have to tell them it was Dinosour eggs. LOL!

Anonymous said...

What a great tip! I didn't know rice cooker can be used to cook hard boiled eggs. Thanks for sharing.

The brown stripes make the eggs look cute.

Pete said...

Mei Teng : Very easy and hassle free way, somemore the eggs turned out nicely cooked. Next time I will try to scare my kids using spotted eggs! ha ha! LOL

Reanaclaire said...

hi Pete...i think this is your active blog.. hahaa.. i will add u to my blogroll now... thanks for the eggs tips.. i will try that one day when i need some dinasour eggs..haha...

TJ Lubrano said...

How cool is that! Thanks for the tip! I will try this out soon!

Pete said...

Claire : Thks for adding me to your blogroll. I have your Caring is not only sharing in my roll as well. It is a very good way to cook 'dinosour' eggs! LOL!

TJ : Thks for visiting. Happy cooking!

mistipurple said...

don't peel don't peel. then you'll have a dinosaur in your kitchen the next morning!

Ayie said...

this way is new to me, i'll try it one time =)

Unknown said...

That's one nice tip .And the stripes on the eggs will make your dish more attractive.
Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a good day!

CheaHSan said...

Hahaha Pete those were the days hard to pull a "fast one" on kids nowadays. Those days we believed the old folks not to point our index finger at the moon our ears get cut...If you tell them now kids will say you are crazy. Great sharing on the h/b eggs..

Bengbeng said...

this is a wonderful idea. i must try it

foongpc said...

Wow! I learn something new today! Cook hard boiled eggs in a rice cooker? Must try this even though I hardly know how to cook!

The dino eggs are cute! Haha!

Pete said...

Misti : Ha Ha I ended up with three dinosours in my kitchen the other day! LOL

Ayie : It works well. Try it!

Keats : Thks for dropping by here too! Cheers!

Beng Beng : Happy cooking dinosour eggs! ha ha!

Foongpc : Don't cook never mind but hard boil egg good with Ibumie Penang Hokkien Mee instant noodle. Good combination!

mistipurple said...

i got ibumie here, but penang hokien mee instant noodle i have to find. tomolo i go find!! see? you always make me hungry.

Anonymous said...

Eh? Can cook liddat meh? So weird... anyway, the eggs does look like dinosaur's eggs! LMAO!

Pete said...

Misti : Here the Penang Hokkien Instant mee very famous lorrr. Red packaging.

Cleff : Can cook this way, very fast and easy!

Tching said...

This sounds pretty interesting. Must give it a try.

Pete said...

Tching : It works well!

Pete said...

Baby : The eggs might leave stains on your cloth.

Bengbeng said...

what u expect? try to lau gi na? dinosaur eggs hahahahaha.

Pete said...

Ha ha, now a days all the 'gi na' cannot lau already, too much info in the TV and Computer! LOL!

Anonymous said...

jesper:yo pete..i'm actually an apprentice chef.Thanks for your tip.Save me alot of time and energy.Imagine cooking 22 dozens of eggs each day.Cheers~~!Waiting for more.

acf said...

it works!!! thank you.

Saru said...

YES!! it works on american eggs too, not too sure if it makes a difference but american eggs tents to be a bit bigger. only on cracked i guess because it was in the center also if you take them out after 2 min and put them in a bowl of ice or water will chill them and able to peel and eat instantly =)

Pete said...

acf : Thanks for trying it out.

Saru : Agree, American eggs tend to be bigger. Glad to know it works on them too. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I just tried this, and it works really well! :) great to know, as i don't have a stove and was too scared to try doing them in the microwave :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this great idea!!! i just ran out of propane and have no gas for the stove, and have to make hardboiled eggs for a class party. I was freaking out until I saw this! How easy, I may just do this every time to cook a hardboiled egg. Trying it now!