Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Round Soft Mi Ku – Red Tortoise Bun

The original Red Vegetarian Red Tortoise Bun – Ang Mi Ku looks like this. modified version............. Round soft miku, a little bit compressed!, after I brought it back to KL all the way from Butterworth!
Over the years someone came up with a new version of mi ku which is softer and fluffier than the original one. I bought these round miku from Chai Leng Park wet market, Butterworth during my last trip back home. Normally miku will be available during Chinese festival seasons or at the 15th or 1st of Chinese Lunar calendar days. The texture of this mi ku is very nice and smooth. They even have the bakery name (Delight Confectionery) and contact number printed on the paper below the miku. After steaming the miku in the morning I ate them with roast pork that I bought from my favourite stall in the same wet market as well! Posted about this roast pork stall in Chinese Roast Pork, Chai Leng Park Wet Market, Butterworth. Speaking of roast pork and miku, I am very hungry now and will soon be eating the HL Char Siew Pau that I bought this afternoon from Jalan Ipoh, KL, for supper!
Related post :

12 comments:

Pei Pei said...

Can this be eaten? If yes, what is the taste like? I've seen these but never tried it before.

Reanaclaire said...

hey, i love mi ku too though i dont find any nice smooth soft ones from IPOH... dont know where to get them la.. so butterworth chai leng park? susah for me to get those then...
how do they print their identity on the mi ku..i wonder.. :) really must peel off skin before walloping..
it is 8am now and u make me yearn for mi ku now..somemore with roasted pork! aiyohhhhh... torture!

Anonymous said...

I see these all the time but have never tasted them before. It is made from rice flour with food colourning isn't? I guess they taste like steamed mantou right?

Pete said...

Pei Pei : It taste like bread but the texture is drier and sweeter. Just peel off the skin and eat the uncoloured parts.

Claire : They normally sell then during the 1st and 15th of Chinese Calender or the day before. You can find them in Chai Leng Park wet market and also at night at the Wai Sek Kai. With roast pork......yummy lorrr!

Mei Teng : Yes they taste like steamed mantou but mi ku is sweeter. Sometimes I will fry it in flour batter! Yummy!

suituapui said...

Thought they make that to give away on baby's full month... You got new baby kah? Hahahahahaha!!!! Or is it when someone celebrates the 80th, 90th or 100th birthday? Last time like that, red pao...Now they make them looking like peaches.

Josephine said...

didnt know it is called Miku

Pete said...

STP : Here they only give ang ku, curry chicken, kunyit rice and red eggs for baby full moon. Add one more baby, I sure 'pengsan' lorrr!

Josephine : This is in Hokkien dialects.

eastcoastlife said...

I have never tried this bun. I would love to try it. Can buy in Johor?

Pete said...

Eastcoastlife : I am not sure whether can get in Johor or not but I found that these buns is not popular in the Malaysian Southern states. But it is quite easy to make, check out the link below my post to my vegetarian blog. For nicer texture use pau flour.

Anonymous said...

Wah.... I very long din see minku bun liao!

Pete said...

Cleff : Wah, how long you didn't go back to hometown liao?

Anonymous said...

every year I am looking forward for 9 emperor festival, anyone drop by to ipoh, i would request them to buy 10 pair, some i keep in the fridge to eat later. I had a funny experiment eating it. My grandma used to ask to peel off the red layer, cleaner and healthier. I disobey, thinking to eat the whole thing not one to waste. next day guess what, my poo turn red, panic Thinking i got stomach cancer, then i remember eating the red layer, from that day onward i peel off the red layer. You all do remember to peel off the red layer