Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kam Heong Barebreast Jack Fish (Ikan Cupak masak kari kam heong) Recipe

It is not common to find Cupak or Barebreast Jack being sold in the wet market. I found a good table size Cupak from a fish supplier from Sg Besar. It weights around 1 kilo, just nice for one family meal. Since my kids love ‘kam heong sauce (spicy curry flavoured sauce)’, I decided to fry the fish and then pour kam heong gravy over it. Then I arrange some hot water blanched vegetables like sawi (choy sam) and French beans around the plate. I also have some leftover white radish in my fridge and I cut it into small strips like the one you see in Sushi restaurants. Ingredients Cupak (barebreast Jack Fish) or any type of fish, 1 pc, deep fried until golden brown Kam Heong Sauce Oyster sauce, 2 table spoons Light Soya Sauce, 2 table spoons Dark Soya Sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, 2”x2”x2”, cut into thin strips Shallots, 5 pcs, chopped finely Lemongrass (serai), 2 stalks, blended Dried Prawns, 3 table spoons, soak in water and blended Curry powder, 2 table spoons Curry leaves, 3 stalks (optional) Chili paste, 2 table spoons Corn Flour, 2 table spoons, add with a little water Salt to taste Vegetable oil 3 table spoons Heat up wok and add in 3 table spoons of vegetable oil. Then, sautéed the ginger, onions, serai, dried prawns and shallots until fragrant. Then, put in the rest of the ingredients and add corn flour water mixture to make the gravy thick. Add bird eye chilli, if you want the dish to be spicier! Pour the gravy over the fried fish and vegetables!

Related Post

1) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2009/06/hot-and-spicy-kam-heong-prawns-recipe.html

2) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2008/10/kam-heong-lala-recipe-spicy-curry.html

3) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2009/07/kam-heong-tilapia-fish-fei-chow-yee.html

7 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

Each time i see the food in your blog, i go so hungry :( not very good lah..cos i'm on a diet :D

ladyviral said...

oooh yummy seafood! I need to stay away from you! One day if out paths ever meet, i will make you cook for me! hahaa

foongpc said...

Gosh! I don't even know there's such a fish called cupak! The dish looks delicious! : )

suituapui said...

Drool! Drool! Even the presentation was nice. Next time I go KL, I would like to be invited to a home-cooked meal - at your place, no less! LOL!!!

Pete said...

Mommy : Aiya, no need to go on diet larrr, just hentam what you want to eat....then exercise more....ha ha LOL!

ladyviral : You also on diet....then I cook vegan food lorrrr! LOL

Foongpc : Ha ha, like buying rice in the olden days, satu cupak beras! LOL!

STP : Wah, so many people want to come to my house, need to get my dream home with large garden and dining area lorrrr! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I oso wan to join cikgu... *whine* feed me, Pete! LOL...

Pete said...

Cleff : Ha ha, no problem in adding extra one person, sure!