Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My First Attempt at Making Ban Chien Kuih (Chinese pancake) -Recipe

I tried this recipe with whatever ingredients that I have in hand after I came across it in Lily’s Wai Sek Hong blog and also Amy Beh’s recipe in The Star newspaper. Unfortunately, I burned it a little and my Ban Chien Kueh turned out to be 'Burned Chien Kuih'! LOL I have to scrape off some of the burned part. Otherwise it would have been perfect. Since I only made a very little batter for just one ban chien kuih, the texture turned out to be crispy. Instead of going through the hassle of roasting some peanuts, I bought a packet of roasted peanuts from an Indian kacang putih (peanuts and snacks stall) man in my area. I don’t have buttermilk, so I just used some milk powder mixed with brown sugar. I also did not use Kan Sui (Potassium Carbonate water), which a lot of people told me that it is not good for health. My 10” diameter non-stick pan came in handy for me to cook the Ban Chien Kuih. The ingredients below are enough to make one pancake using this pan. And the final result!............It taste like Ban Jien Kuih, Smells like Ban Chien Kuih but it is not Ban Chien Kuih but 'Burned Chien Kuih'! ROFL!

Ingredients to make one Ban Chien Kuih (10’’ non stick pan size)
Wheat Flour, 10 table spoons
Rice flour, 2 ½ table spoons
Water, 1 cup Sugar, 1 table spoon
Brown sugar, 2 table spoon
Milk, 1 table spoon
Bicarbonate of soda, ½ teaspoon
Salt, ½ teaspoon

Fillings
Roasted peanuts, 4 table spoons, blended into fine granules
Sugar, 2 table spoons or to taste
Butter, 1 table spoon

Mix all the ingredients for the Ban Chien Kuih batter. Heat up non-stick pan and coat it with a little vegetable oil. Pour the Ban Chien kuih batter into the pan and close it with a lid to make sure that the top side is cook evenly. Put the fillings into the Ban Chien Kuih and cook for 2 minutes. Then use a butter knife to lift up one side and fold it into half. Cut into 4 pieces and serve! Peanuts and sugar mixture...................................Ban Chien Kuih Batter in my non stick pan
My 'Burned Chien Kuih'! But it taste good! LOL!
Related Post

15 comments:

CheaHSan said...

Korek korek korek! Oh my fave since young days. Would at times hop-in pasar malam to buy that's it that's my dinner.

mistipurple said...

haha. i don't mind ordering a piece of your burnt ban chien kuey.

Pete said...

Cheah : Wah, not filling for dinner leh....Last night I ate the whole piece for supper, still hungry....LOL

Misti : Actually it taste bit authentic with a little burned smell....LOL!

suituapui said...

Pretty good, it seems! Certainly looks like the real thing...but I think it's easier to buy. Got a stall round the corner, some 100-200 metres from my house! LOL!!!

molly said...

Good try, good try. Practice makes perfect.
Do you have recipe for popia skin?

Anonymous said...

I didn't know this pancake's called ban jien kuih. We call it 'tai kau min' in Cantonese.

I like these pancakes but not many stalls sell good ones.

Pete said...

STP : Sometime, can modify the taste if cook at home....more interesting leh! LOL

Molly : Popiah skin don't have leh. Will try to find out!

Mei Teng : Ban Jien Kuih is in Hokkien, Hah, now I know its name in Cantonese. Some stalls used too much 'kan sui' potassium bicarbonate, smell too strong lorrr, somemore not good for health!

CheaHSan said...

Pete what a great difference in names, so in Canto is 'Tai kau min' direct translation is "Big thick face" and Hokkien is "Ban Jien Kuih" and what is the meaning actually?

Pete said...

Maybe the direct translation for Hokkien is 'Slow(ban) Fried(chien) Cake(kuih)'. Have to use low heat to cook, real slow....I increased the heat, then it got burned! ha ha ha! LOL

ladyviral said...

Waaa good try! Looks genuine! except for the burnt part lah haha. But very good. Cook more when perfect send to me :P.

Pete said...

ladyviral : Have to try it again....real interesting....can add other ingredients..mmmmm maybe pandan and coconut...send you one if successful! LOL!

foongpc said...

It taste like Ban Jien Kuih, Smells like Ban Chien Kuih but it is not Ban Chien Kuih but 'Burned Chien Kuih'!

Haha! LOL!

I love this kuih! Yummy!

Pete said...

Foongpc : Korek, korek, korek.....ha ha ha! LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL... burned chien kuih... lol... eh, it does not look so bad, actually.

Pete said...

Cleff : This is another of my simply hentam cooking....Ha ha!