Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Second Attempt at Making Crispy Roast Pork - Yay, successful!


This is my second attempt in making Crispy Roast Pork. The last roast pork I made did not turn out that well because I couldn’t make the skin crispy. (see post http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-first-attempt-to-make-chinese-crispy.html)
Anyway I found a nice large slab of pork at the Kepong Baru Wet market last week. I paid around RM12 for it. This time I managed to make the skin crispy and nice. Yum, yum, my family had a taste of nice homemade crispy roast pork over the weekend!

Ingredients
Large slab of pork with skin intact, preferably one with a layer of fat below the skin
Five spice powder, 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mak Ngar Tong, (wheat sugar) 2 table spoon

Make some deep cuts on the meat part of the pork. Then use a very sharp knife and make some shallow cuts on the skin. Rub five spice powder, salt and mak ngar tong on the meat part of the pork. Pat dry the pork skin and rub some salt on it. Preheat oven to 180 Deg C and roast for one and a half hour or until the skin is crispy. Open the oven door occasionally to let air so that the skin can be crispy. Scrape away any burned part with a sharp knife. Use a large chopping block to cut the roast pork using a large knife to avoid the crispy skins from falling off the meaty part.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..the skin does look very crispy oh.

mommy to chumsy said...

wow, really yummy. your roast pork looks like those i see at the market ...hehehehe

ladyviral said...

You are making me hungry! I got roast pork at home today too! Mom bought it, we can make cause our oven have been spoiled for very long now.. but when I was young, my mom used to make it! Yummy! she made BBQ Pork too!.

Yum yum!

Pete said...

Mei Teng : It is quite hard to get the skin to crisp evenly using oven. I managed to get 90% crispy skin only.

Mommy : Taste a little bit different because I did not use flavour enhancers but I like the crispy skin very much! LOL!

Ladyviral : Wow, you mom is a good cook. Must learn from her leh!

Josephine said...

I am gonna to try it out!

suituapui said...

What's this I read in somebody's blog about stabbing the skin with a fork or something to make the crackle? 1st time I dunno what I did - successful, 2nd time - the skin was a disaster, crispy and nice but not wrinkled... Must try again one of these days!!! Tak mahu kalah! Hahahahahaha!

Pete said...

Josephine : Make sure the skin is dry and make some shallow cuts on it, then it will be crispy

STP : Use fork, very hard to poke the skin lorr. Just us a very sharp knife to make shallow cuts on it, or ask the butcher to do it!

Ayie said...

the secret in making it crispy is to freeze it prior cooking. Good for you , finally you were successful with the crispy roast. This is lechin kawali of the Philippines.

Pete said...

Ayie : Thks will check it out!