Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mini Rempeyek (Malaysian Traditional Peanut Cookies)

Occasionally, while watching my favourite show in AFC, I would be munching away snacks like rempeyek (Malaysian Traditional Peanut Cookies) or maybe some kacang (nuts). Rempeyek round flat base is made from rice flour with some spice like cumin, coriander and fennel added to it. Then toasted peanuts and anchovies (ikan bilis) would be placed on top of the flat disc like dough which is around 3 inches in diameter. This is then deep fried in hot oil until crispy. Some rempeyek has thin crust but some has thick ones. The thick crust ones normally have peanuts toppings and the thin crust rempeyek has peanuts and anchovies (ikan bilis) toppings. I bought this mini size rempeyek from the biscuits vendor I frequent at Kepong Baru Market. It is very fresh and not oily. This mini size rempeyek has only peanuts toppings. Since it comes in bite size, I just pop the whole piece in the mouth without have to worry about scraps falling all over the place. Yum, yum.....I am going to eat my crunchy and tasty rempeyek now! Cheers!

11 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

aiyoh Pete.. i wan i wan.... im so hungry now, 5.pm.. my last meal was at 11am this morning...so imagine seeing this snack....haizzzzz... ok, must go now... get something to much..

Anonymous said...

Ooh...yum. One of my fav snacks. Haven't had this for quite awhile.

CheaHSan said...

Oh Pete you "clicked" on my hot button I'm nuts over nuts bro..so how?

Unknown said...

I love your recipes! Amazing blog, keep up the good work. If you ever want some of my recipes please stop by my site: http://actualfoodforthought.blogspot.com/

suituapui said...

I like the thin ones...but never seen such small ones before, and so many peanuts! Ours here, only a couple of peanuts and a couple of ikan bilis! Haven't eaten for a long time, used to buy a lot - in tins! LOL!!!

Pete said...

Claire : Wah 11am until 5pm haven't eat anything...if me 'pengsan' liao lorrr!

Mei Teng : Don't eat too much. Nanti pimples come out a lot....ha ha ha!

Chef Matt : Thks for dropping by and the compliment. You have a nice blog too! Cheers!

Cheah : aiya, I where can click you hot button wan! .....Only you 'darling' can larrr! Ha haHa!

STP : Wah, very 'keng' buy in tins....how long it takes to finish the whole tin? LOL!

eastcoastlife said...

My hubby loves this. I don't like peanuts so I don't bother to learn how to make them. :P

He can buy from his favourite hawker. :)

Pete said...

EastCoastLife : Peanuts can be additive...but nice! he he!

Ayie said...

my brother loves that! we have it like peanut brittle in the philippines. not too much for me. i'm ok with nuuts alone but not in ingredients.

Pete said...

ayie : Looks like more guys like this than the ladies!

suituapui said...

They say, peanuts like kissing. You take once, you want more... Hahahaha!