Thursday, July 2, 2009

BBQ Sting Ray Recipe (Ikan Pari Tuka Bakar)

Last week, during my regular weekend trip to the Kepong wet market, I found my regular fish monger selling small stingrays which the local Malays called ‘Tuka’. Tuka is a species of sting ray that is smaller in size compared to other types of sting rays; normally they grow to the most about 1 foot in diameter. I bought three sting rays and the stall owner cleaned it for me. It is very important to remove the innards of the sting ray carefully. Otherwise, the juice from the sting rays’ liver which has strong urea smells will contaminate the flesh and you will not be able to get rid of the smell no matter what type of spices or marinade you use! I fired up some leftover charcoals that I have and let it turned into amber. I don’t want big fire that would burn my sting rays. Then I marinate the sting ray with some chilli powder, salt, sugar, coriander and cumin. I barbecue the sting rays for around 30 minutes until golden brown. Then I served them with some chilli padi (bird eye chili) in light soya sauce and lemon juice. Well, my son loves it very much! Ingredients Sting Rays cut Chilli powder, 1 table spoon Cumin powder (jintan manis), ½ teaspoon Serbuk Ketumbar (Coriander powder), ½ teaspoon Lemon juice, 1 table spoon Salt and sugar to taste Dipping sauce mix Bird Eye Chilli (Chilli Padi), 5pcs, cut into small pieces Light Soya Sauce, 3 table spoon Lemon juice, 2 table spoons Related post on Sting Ray 1) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2009/01/fried-stingray-recipe.html 2) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2009/06/chili-dried-salted-sting-ray-with.html

4 comments:

CheaHSan said...

Huh 'stung' ray again!!!Oh love em..

Pete said...

Cheah : Cannot eat too much lorrr. Nanti, pimples come out!

Anonymous said...

Wahahahaha... stingray.... another of my fav fish, cuz no bones... lol... nonid to be scared I'll be choked by the stupid fish bones...

Pete said...

Cleff : My son also don't like fish bone, so his favourite is stingray too!