Friday, July 9, 2010

Crispy Ikan Kuning Masin (Yellow Salted Fish)

My good neighbour gave me a packet of salted ikan kuning (yellow fish) that he bought from his trip to Kuala Terengganu. I love salted fish, especially when they are deep fried till crispy. I cut away the head and deep fried the salted ikan kuning in hot oil. I used slow fire to cook so that even the bones would be cripsy so that I can eat the fish whole. Talk about additional Calcium supplement from fish bones....ha ha ha! The fish was very fresh as well. I did not detect any fishy smell. The fish was not too salty and it goes along well with my steamed rice. I guess is should be good if eaten with porridge too.

14 comments:

Yee Ling said...

I love to have it with porridge and just had it yesterday but no salted fish.

mNhL said...

love salted fish with nasi lemak. My son enjoyed it too! yummy. and u got good neighbours too. hehe...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loved salted fish with porridge...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I seldom eat salty fish unless it is fresh, I think you will eat this with Kampung Koh chili sauce, because I often see you leave comment in my blog mentioned this chili sauce, hehehe..

Little Kit Boy said...

SALTED FISH...my favourite too. I love those 'mui heong' type, steam and squeeze a bit of lime juice. Hm..yummy yummy...always can wallop two bowl of rice with only salted fish.

manglish said...

steam rice oso ok but now so hot porridge better can eat a few bowls hahahah

suituapui said...

Is this like the "long" salted kembong? Best with chillies and squeeze calamansi lime.

Pete said...

Mommy Ling : he he, my favourite with porridge too

mnhl : With nasi lemak chilli, mou tak teng lorr!

Sharon : Me too

Sonia : Heh heh Kg Koh chilli sauce is my favourite, LOL!

Little Kit Boy : wooo, Mui Heong salted fish is very nice...,mmmmmm, now I am craving for it.

Manglish : A few bowls....wah, very keng chow...

STP : Different from the salted kembong. This one sun dried

MaryMoh said...

It's so long I have not eaten these type of salted fish. They are so good with porridge. I don;t think I need any other dishes if I have this :D

Pete said...

MaryMoh : Agree, I also can eat this dish alone with rice....LOL!

Ayie said...

that fish has tasty meat, very nice fried!

Annie Q said...

i love salted fish! Yum!! But it's not good for health, i try to control not taking too much.

chun chinwong said...

Thailand Festivals
Thai culture Ceremony and Festival in Thailand

http://thailand-festivals-life.blogspot.com/

coffeesncookies said...

yes, this will be good with any type of malay style rice or even chinese claypot rice or lap mei farn ! trust me. salted fish is yumms w lap mei fan. :D