Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Simple Kung Po Chicken Recipe


Still remember my Kung Po Paddy Field Frogs dish ? Well, this time I used 'real' chicken instead of Thin Kai (Paddy field frog)! LOL! Normally deboned chicken meat are used in kung po recipes but I found that cooking it with pieces of chicken with bones intact would make the dish nicer.
Check out my simple kung po chicken recipe

Ingredients
Chicken, 1/2 bird, cut into small pieces
Ginger, 7 slices
Garlic, 5 cloves, smashed
Onions, 1 pc, cut into four
Dried Chillies, 7 pcs or to taste, soak in water and remove seeds
Dark Soya Sauce, 1 teaspoon
Light soya sauce, 1 tablespoon
Shao shing chiew, 1 tablespoon (Chinese cooking wine)
Oyster Sauce, 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Spring Onions, 3 stalks, cut into 1" length
Cashew nuts, ½ cup, (optional)
Corn flour and water mixture to thicken the gravy

Put in around 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in hot frying pan. Sauté ginger, garlic, onions and dried chillies until nice aroma fill the air. Add in the chicken and stir fry until they are cooked thoroughly. Add a little water if the dish is too dry so that it will not get burned. Add in dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, shao shing chiew, oyster sauce, cashew nuts, salt and sugar to taste. Pour a little corn flour water mixture into the wok. Garnish with spring onions, celery and serve.
 

10 comments:

Christine said...

looks nice without the frog, lol.

suituapui said...

Ahhhhhh!!!! Chicken, I like!!! LOL!!!

Alice Law said...

How long do u take to cook this, it looks like a braised dish. Would it taste better if we let it simmer longer?

yvonne said...

I thought kung po is drier? But can eat rice with gravy, yummy~

Hayley said...

I think this one is better than thin kai.... hehe :P

Pete said...

Alice : 10 minutes, yes, if simmer longer then nice. I add a little water because my children likes the gravy.

Yvonne : Add gravy because my children like it...

Unknown said...

Oh, it is my first tiem seeing Kung Pou with gravy...must good for children...

Aunty Liew said...

This dish really suit my family's taste.You have gave me an idea what to cook this coming mid-autumn festival. Thanks,Pete^^

Reanaclaire said...

Eating out tonight.. dont know what to eat and where to go as yet.. maybe end up eating maggi mee at home :(

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

must have more rice for this dish, look YUM!