Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chinese Style Pork Meat Floss Recipe (Bak Hu, Yuk Si) Recipe - How to make


I posted Chicken Meat Floss Recipe in 2008. This time I made some bak hu (meat floss) with lean pork meat. The process of frying the meat until dry might seem very tedious but the end result is really great. Everyone in the family gets to enjoy preservatives free and tasty home made meat floss (yuk shi, bak hu). Since I didn't use any preservatives, I kept the Bak Hu in the fridge to prevent them from turning moldy.

My kids love to eat meat floss with porridge or plain bread.

Here is my Chinese style Meat Floss recipe,

Ingredients
Lean Pork, 1 kilogram, cut into 1" cube
Light soya sauce, 7 table spoons
Dark soya sauce, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste (around 4 to 5 tablespoons)
Water, enough to cover the pork meat

 Put all the ingredients in a pot and boil in low heat until all the pork meat turned tender. Separate the meat into thin strands using your hands. Put all the meat into a non stick pan and fry until all the gravy dries up. Keep frying the Bak Hu at low heat until they become dry. You can fry them longer if you want the Bak Hu (meat floss) to be crispy.  Let the bak hu cool down before storing it in air tight container. Keep the bak hu in the fridge.

One large container of tasty and savoury Pork Meat Floss (Bak Hu, Yok shi)

22 comments:

[SK] said...

oh i just love this!! so nice to go with plain rice porridge, or even just as snack alone.. :)

Small Kucing said...

MIL is good at making this. SHe added minced garlic to give it extra kick

Christine said...

This looks interesting and tasty!

suituapui said...

Made so much kah? You need my mailing address? LOL!!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Pls courier some over... lol...

WendyinKK said...

My aunt got sick of eating this during the days when my grandpa made herbal concoctions daily with pork, and instead of throwing out the pork, they turned it into meat floss. My aunt said, sick of meat floss. LOL. That was more than 40 years ago. And I don't have the luxury of having it daily. You sell or not?

Unknown said...

Wow, what a nice chicken floss made form you...must be ery good! U really are a good cook. SALUTE!!

yvonne said...

This recipe looks tough for me.... Can place order for upcoming CNY?

mNhL said...

Reminds me of my aunty's recipe. She used to do this when she was still young and strong. Now, old already. No strength.

Hayley said...

I love this! Best on its own, or with bread! You're so talented!! ;)

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

You know my address huh? hahaha. tQ interesting to make your own than rather buy outside coz you are not assured of the way they make them. But sometimes when lazy got give excuse dirty eat dirty fat haha.

yummylittlecooks said...

My kids love meat floss, thanks for sharing ^^

Alice Law said...

This is one cracking good idea! I might try with chicken, thx for sharing!^^

lena said...

wow, you really good, know how to make meat floss. quite time consuming i think.

Yannie said...

I love bakhu, but I don't think i want to make it myself. Lots of work. Hehehe!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You can even make bakhu at home, bravo !! By the way, can I cook the meat in a pressure cooker to shorten the cooking time?

Pete said...

Hi Sonia, yes you can use pressure cooker but put less water. save time

mumusings said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Will definitely try making our own bakhu:) Just one question - how much oil needed to fry it? Just grease the wok or is more oil needed?

Bread with bakhu and butter is lovely - brings back good memories of the things I used to eat when I was a kid.

Pete said...

Hi Mumusings, no need to use oil but you must turn the heat to low...

Grace Winter-Alsop said...

Hi Pete,

Like you said you didn't use any preservatives and you kept them in the fridge. I was wondering, how long can it stay good in the fridge till.

Just made them yesterday and it taste lovely, Thanks for sharing the recipe and i didn't know it's that easy to make i saw your blog. Thanks again.- Grace Winter-Alsop

Pete said...

Hi Grace,

Glad you like the recipe. I normally keep them in the fridge for around 2 weeks. The longest was around 1 month, still tasted ok.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Just finished making it earlier, it's lovely. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will be sharing with loved ones :)