Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Simple Spicy Sting Ray with Butter and Garam Masala Recipe

If you notice, I have been publishing many simple stingray recipes in this blog. It is obvious that Stingray is my favourite fish! I used to go fishing for sting ray. It is very exciting to see the hooked stingray trashing out of the water into the air. Stingray give anglers really good fight! They can be found in sandy areas like Pulau Pangkor and around our tropical water. Although stingray is a salt water fish, some fresh water stingrays have been found in our Pahang river. Fresh stingrays are very sweet and it is just heaven to bite into the firm flesh! Delicious! I experimented with the combination of coarse dried chilly powder (serbuk cili kasar kering) and butter in this recipe. For those of you who likes spicy food, this is for you!

Ingredients
Salt water Stingray cut, 15 small pcs
Coarse dried chilly powder (chilly kasar), 2 tablespoons or more
Garam Masala, 1 teaspoon
Oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon
Butter, 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Sugar, ½ teaspoon
Vegetable oil for frying

Marinade sting ray with chilly powder, garam masala, oyster sauce, butter and salt. Heat up wok and put in the vegetable oil. Put in the marinated sting ray. Stir fry using medium heat until the sting ray is cooked. Add sugar and stir for a short while until it dissolves. Serve with white rice while still hot.

9 comments:

Small Kucing said...

found a stingray once at Blue Lagoon during company trip. Some guys took it. Maybe to cook gua

Alice Law said...

You dish looks really alluring! When I shopped this morning, I was so tempted to buy stingray(got offer) but then it's hard for me to cook stingray without hot spicy(darn put off by its ammonia taste)! Just wonder if you have any recipe that can help me to cook stingray without chillies or hot spices(my kids can;t take it)? Hope I didn't bother you, thanks!;D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like stringay too, usually i cook "kam heong" style, must try your recipe if next time i get the fresh stringay.

suituapui said...

Yum! But the sting ray here isn't nice. Smells of urine. I love stingray ikan bakar in Penang. Yum!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I like BBQ stringray...

Anonymous said...

I like stingray ikan bakar style.

Pete said...

Alice, STP : Read my next post about how to get rid of the stingray smells. Hope it works!

Alice : Non-spicy stingray recipe coming up soon.

Alice Law said...

Thank you in advance, so kind of you to take the troubles to post it!

yvonne said...

Stingray is one of my favourite fish. I love it steamed or grilled.