Thursday, April 28, 2011

Unripe Mango in Spicy Light Soya Sauce Recipe


This is another dish that I always crave to have with rice.  LOL! Alright, ladies, don't laugh lah, guys also have cravings.....but most of the time the 'wrong' type of 'craving' not the pregnant type of craving. ha ha ha!
Mango goes along very well with rojak sauce but this is a shortcut way to do it. The simple Unripe Mango Salad in Spicy Light Soya sauce never fails to make me eat more rice. Peteformation need to put on weight!

I used to have this type of mango tree in my hometown house garden. It will bear fruits all year round and most of the time we will give them away. Unfortunately, my dad chopped it down when some of the branches starts to rot. Most of our neighbours would plant the mango seeds after they ate them, so whenever I pass by my old house nowadays, I could see the offsprings mango plants of our original mango tree lining the road there.

Ingredients
Mango, 1 big unripe, cut into small strips
Light soya sauce, enough to cover 2/3 of the mango
Sugar, to taste
Chili padi (bird eye chilli), 5 pcs, chopped finely

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until all the sugar dissolves. Chill the mango with spicy light soya sauce in the fridge before consuming.

PS : The light soya sauce required is only 2/3 to cover the mango because the saltiness of the sauce would cause the water in the mango cells to flow out through osmosis process into the sauce. After a short while, you will see that the sauce covering the mango.

Ate my mango spicy light soya sauce, Sambal Sotong Kembang, prawn fritters and stir fried vegetable with rice!

15 comments:

Christine said...

those other dishes look good too!

suituapui said...

Mix with sambal hay bee, belacan and lots of chillies... Yum! Soy sauce? No, thank you...

Little Kit Boy said...

Hm..not many guys like unripe manggo cos sour. but Pete, you are so different especially when comes to food. I really admire you, not only that you know how to appreciate good food but also a good cook.

Small Kucing said...

yes..yes ..yes...i used to makan these . Only difference is instead of chopping it fine, i cut it in pieces and makan with the sauce.

My sauce is dark soya sauce+sugar+cili. So it's thicker.

Hayley said...

*giggling*
Haha, seldom guys will like this dish, as most unripe mango taste abit sour.
I prefer the ripe ones...

yvonne said...

Never had preserved unripe mango with rice. But I used to eat those small sour mango (is it same as unripe mango?) with soya sauce + sugar. Delicious~~ now drooling already.

Yannie said...

You also crave for mangoes, unripe one somemore. So, you are now able to tell me mangoes benefit number 6work or not. heheheh!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Mango, i like also...

Merryn said...

"Peteformation need to put on weight!"

You eat eat eat oso kenot put on weight! Jeles...

Btw... yums to that mango do.. shiok!

WendyinKK said...

First time I hear eating green mango with rice, well besides kerabu.
Creative la u.

Alice Law said...

hey, how come my saliva keeps oozing reading your post?!! So tempted to have it now...T_T really hope we just staying next door!

lena said...

very rare i hear men craving for sour mangoes! some female hormones in you??

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I use fish sauce. Haven't had it a while because only I eat, and that is no fun. I didn't think of eating with rice.

mNhL said...

just nice I have unripe mangoes here. haha....can try your recipe. Thks for sharing ;)

Kokoda Treks said...

Nice recipe!!!dishes look good too......... I had garnished it with coriander leaves green chillyyyyyyyyy sauce it was looking wonderful as well as the taste was...... mindblowinggggggggg....