Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Marmite Bak Moi (Pork Porridge) with Pan Roasted Groundnuts – Recipe

Sometimes it is good to take something light so that our stomach can rest a little! I would cook porridge quite frequently because, my wife is a fan of porridge but I am neutral. Last week, I prepared this bak moi (pork porridge) and ate it with roasted groundnuts. Normally I would just buy the groundnuts from the kacang putih (Indian snack vendor) man because frying your own groundnuts can be a little tedious. But then, it is cheaper for me to fry it at home. The portion you see in the picture would have cost me RM6 (USD 1.80) if I would have bought it from the kacang putih man. My cost for the raw peanut is only around RM0.70 plus a little work to fry it until crunchy. Anyway, my wife and kids finished off all the peanuts real fast, especially my little 2 year old toddler, he just love peanuts! Home toasted groundnuts taste sweeter because it is fresher than commercially toasted ones!

Ingredients
Rice, 1 cup
Pork, 200 gms, cut into slices or minced,
Corn flour, 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Pepper, a dash or more
Light Soya Sauce, 3 table spoons
Marmite, 1 teaspoon
Parsley and spring onions for garnishing

Wash rice, add around 4 bowls of water and slow cook it over the stove. Add salt to the rice so that the rice texture would be smooth. Marinade the meat with corn flour, pepper, light soya sauce and marmite. When the porridge is cooked, put in the marinated meat. Boil for a short while. Garnish with parsley, spring onions and roasted peanuts before serving.

23 comments:

PFx said...

I am not a big fan of marmite, but i love vegemite. Either or, I think this makes a LOT of sense.

Funny I am eating vegemite on toast whilst stumbling on your post pete.

I do believe that marmite/vegemite has a certain similar taste to Kecap Maggie (Maggie soy sauce). And I use kecap maggie on my porridge every time I come home to Indonesia and get sick. It's a simple and comforting treat.

Good stuff!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi Pete,

I like to know how an engineer became such a good food writer and cook?

My bros are good cook, but not a food writer.

My husband is an engineer and boasts he knows how to cook, forgetting to say he knew how to cook when he was a student.

mNhL said...

ya...frying own peanuts are REALLLLL TIRING. I don't like marmite with porridge but love marmite crab and 'pai kuat'.

Anonymous said...

My family boils chicken feet soup with groundnuts. And I like crabs cooked in marmite sauce.

Pete said...

PFx : Ha ha ha, I buy large containers of kicap, 3kg everytime!LOL!

Ann : Hi,Ann. I made lots of mistake in cooking too but I guess it is practise that makes perfect. I have been cooking since I was around 9 years old. The first dish I cooked was fried eggs.
Actually I am not a good food writer as you can see my post are quite short. LOL!

mnhl : Agree, frying peanuts is very tiring....last time when I was young, helping my mom to fry lots of peanut to make peanut cookies.....pengsan lorr!

Annie Q said...

Porridge i like! I like Bovril more than marmite. :) Yummy!

Pete said...

Mei Teng : Hah, peanut soup...post coming up....LOL!

Pete said...

Annie : Next round I buy Bovril....I love both Bovril and Marmite!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

my kids doesn't like groundnut, so I seldom cook this kind of porridge.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I love this! I use vegemite here... hehehe

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Courier some over, kakaka...

Pete said...

Sonia : Maybe boil the peanut until soft, they might like

Penny : Vegemite not very common here.

Sharon : Aiyo, must use styrofoam box leh! LOL!

xin said...

i helped my mom to fry peanuts before. and gosh, that was hell lots of flipping n stirring work to make sure that they are all crispy but not burnt.

manglish said...

ya hor...long time didnt cook porridge oredi hahahaah

MaryMoh said...

Porridge...my favourite! I don't mind to eat that every meal.

Al said...

My pork porridge goes well with my fried tofu dipped in soy sauce and vinegar spicy seasoning...yum!

suituapui said...

I love Marmite...and Bovril but SO expensive these days. One big jar over RM30!!! I would take porridge mixed with Marmite /Bovril with salted or century eggs...canned fish with black beans, salted fish etc...
Eyew...I don't like Vegemite. Tried once, in the end, threw away!!!

Pete said...

Xin : Agree, frying peanut is hard work! LOL!

Manglish : Cooking it this weekend?

Mary Moh : Porridge too light for me, get hungry real fast!

AL : That sounds yummy!

STP : Ya, these stuff are real expensive, next time I come up with Petemite.....sell cheaper, ha ha ha!

elliecleffairy said...

Eiiii, small children kenot take groundnuts too much, Pete, later got cacing inside the tummy. Plus, must drink a lot of water after take the peanuts... later the baby sore throat.

cleffairy said...

Ewwww... Petemite...got wud inside wan? ur blood kah? Eyewwwww!!!!

Pete said...

Cleff : Opps, got to stop him...he makan non stop leh. My blood, vampire also don't wan lah, too skinny, not nutritious...ha ha ha!

Ayie said...

just like the usual rice congee i cook but no nuts

ChloeRuoyi said...

Porridge is my all time favourite! I prefer the groundnuts cooked in the porridge until soft. Yummy!