Friday, April 30, 2010

Sweet Potato and Long Beans Rice Recipe – My Avatar Purple Rice!

This recipe is actually similar to the yam rice that I posted a few months back. I used purple sweet potato to cook this dish and the colour seeps into the rice grain. Gosh, I have been using purple sweet potato in my cooking very often recently, it must have been the Avatar movie after effect on me! LOL! My daughter was a little apprehensive when she saw the purple coloured rice but my son ate a whole plate. It tasted ok to me. So I guess I will need my readers to try it out so I can get a third party opinion.

Ingredients
Rice, 1 ½ cup (serve 4)
Long Beans, 3 pcs, cut into small pieces
Sweet Potato (or yam), 1 pc, cut into cubes
Shallots, 5 pcs, cut into slices
Dried Prawns, 2 table spoons
Chicken Meat (or Pork Belly Meat), 100 gms, cut into small cubes
Oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon
Dark Soya Sauce, 1 teaspoon
Parsley and Spring Onions for garnishing

Heat up wok and put in around 2 table spoons of vegetable oil. Put in the shallots and fry until they turn golden brown. Take out the shallots and put it aside. Put dried prawns and fry for a short while. Add in the chicken meat (or pork belly). Put the rice in the wok and add dark soya sauce. Fry until the rice and dark soya sauce are well mixed. Add salt to taste and oyster sauce. Put in the long beans and sweet potato. Cook the rice in rice cooker or steam it just like cooking normal white rice. Garnish with deep fried shallots, parsley and spring onions before serving.

22 comments:

manglish said...

hmm yum yum remind me i should cook simple dish like this for myself...after my trip haahha

suituapui said...

Interesting. I only know Taiwanese sweet potato porridge. Wah! Your sweet potatoes so purplish! Filipino variety? They're the best!

mNhL said...

u should invite your readers to your house to try. Than only can give you 3rd party opinion. haha

Merryn said...

Avatar effect! lol.. i think all your sweet potato dish are suitable for the little ones.. a definite must try :D

Reanaclaire said...

purple or blue, i dont mind trying.. waiting for invitation only.. :p i m very sai sik..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Can i have a bowl for supper, keke...

Christine said...

Avatar after effect...lol. Pete, do you soak the dry shrimp first or just toss them in? This is on my long list to try.

Alice Law said...

Brother, "Yam rice" page not found leh~!!>0<

Do you need to "pre-steam" the yam before stir fry with rice? Looks delicious, if don't need to pre-steam("ma fan") the yam i would like to give it a try!:p

Have a wonderful weekend to you!

p/s: Regarding my girl "conteng" on daddy's wall, our house is actually under renovation. Next Monday we will have our house repaint! Papa has to wash the wall because silly mama used fabric paint instead of water colour for the mural!:p

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

My Avatar Purple Rice can also be called 'I See You Lice' haha. Think children's priority of food could be the color itself which attracts or kill their liking. tQ


Special Tribute 2U;)

tuti said...

i like the color purple. hehehe

Pete said...

Manglish : Agree, quite simple to cook.

STP : No sure which variety it was...LOL!

Mnhl : Ha ha, next time, when I get a bigger house.

Merryn : After eat, next day 'kentut' non stop, after effect of sweet potato....LOL!

claire : Wah, any colour also can...LOL!

Sharon : Sure....supper, eat rice very heavy wor...

Christine : Can soak first to soften the but it you do not want to soak it, then use a mortar and pestle to smash it a little to soften it.


Alice : Opps, I made an error on the html code. Thanks for informing me. I have corrected it.
If the yam is powdery type (sang, in Hokkien) then you don't have to pre-steam it. Powdery type are soft.
Aiyo, use fabric paint.....habis papa have to work over time


Bananaz : I want to eat lice....ha ha ha!

Tuti: Hah, former Mistypurple...LOL!

Food For Tots said...

Sounds interesting! Love the idea of purple sweet potato. Look very appetizing! This reminds me of the "di gua fan" in one of the Taiwanese show. ;)

wenn said...

sounds yummy! must try it one day!

Ayie said...

this recipe surely intrigues me but i don't think i can make that here due to ingredients inavailabiity

Cheryl said...

Like the purple color indeed! My children would have been very intrigued by it.

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never had any purple rice...

tasteofbeirut said...

I agree; I would come to your house and give you an unbiased opinion! No, seriously, I see nothing wrong with that dish; it tastes fine to me!

Cheah said...

Yes, they do look alien, but then it's the taste that matters. Great creation.

foongpc said...

Avatar purple rice? Haha! Looks delicious though : )

Pete said...

Food for Tots : Ha ha, the Di Gua Fan, I remember the show....LOL!

Wenn : Eat with sambal belacan, nice!

Ayie : Can use other types of sweet potato....taste almost the same.

Cheryl : Ha ha, agree

Angie : There is the Malaysian famous Nasi Kerabu, is it blue in colour!


tasteofbeirut : Agree with you

Cheah Thks

Foongpc : I watched Avatar more than five time already....my little toddler kept on watching it! LOL!

[SK] said...

ooh, looks nice, i love this.. but wouldn't yam taste better with long beans??

ChloeRuoyi said...

Sounds good! I cook this "yat wok sook" meals very often too. Simple and delicious, esp the pumpkin rice :)