Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to Make Natural Chicken Essence – Recipe for health

Chicken essence is good for people who are weak because one bowl of it contains all the goodness from one chicken. Many pregnant mothers who had difficulties during their pregnancies have benefited from this wonderful chicken essence soup. My mom thought me how to make chicken essence when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Now, I would make chicken essence occasionally for my family. It provides my kids with extra nutrition during their growing years. It is actually not very difficult to make chicken essence; you just need some time to cook it over slow fire. Ingredients Chicken (preferably free range kampung (village) chicken), 1 whole, removes skin

Clean chicken and make a cut along the breast area. Use a pestle to smash all the bones so that all the nutrition from the bone marrow would flow out when the chicken is cooked. Place a rice bowl upside down in a porcelain pot. Put the chicken on top of the rice bowl. Cover up the porcelain pot and put in a metal pot filled with water for double boiling. Cover up the metal pot and double steam (dan, 炖) for 3 hours. The chicken essence would flow into the rice bowl. Serve while still hot. The chicken meat would be tasteless but you can use it to make bak hu (meat floss) I didn’t manage to take a picture of the pure chicken essence because my kids drank all of it before I could do so! Sweet and nice! This is Pete's Essence of Chicken!LOL!

24 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

my mom use this way to prepare chicken essence for me during my confinement time, so tasty. Thanks for sharing the detail steps here.

manglish said...

i want your bak hu~~~~~~ hahahahah

Yee Ling said...

yea..my mom also do the same way. It's real tasty and rich.

PFx said...

Aaah! So this is how they do it... Hmmm No wonder it's so wholesome. Thank you Pete, very helpful. And that bak hu! It's a definite bookmark. (I don't know much about real asian cookery you see)

And no wonder your kiddies finished it in one go, they've been biking all day. Hahaha

suituapui said...

Definitely better than the bottled ones. I hear at the factory, they use the head...and all the parts that people don't want. Dunno how true...

smallkucing said...

i didnt know can make chicken essence like that. wow..good leh.

Angie's Recipes said...

Love this post! Thanks, Pete, for sharing the tip and trick.

Reanaclaire said...

yes, this is our mother's way of doing it...i use the double decker pot.. zebra brand..been with me for many many years.. lol..

tasteofbeirut said...

Wow! This is totally new to me and very useful too! Thanks so much!

MaryMoh said...

Oh...Pete..I badly need this. I played too much badminton and feel a little exhausted today. I remember my mom used to make this essence for us. It tasted A1.

Alice Law said...

Hehe... this used to be my favourite side dish during confinement, awesomely nice!

have a pleasant day ahead!

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Errr... I have one problem. I don't like to eat a chicken without its skin. Hehehe

please visit my new blog too at http://whenteacherspeaks.blogspot.com

wenn said...

my MIL did for me a few times but she had passed away for quite some time already.

Pam said...

Great post and thanks for the advice! Very good!

Christine said...

your diagram is very helpful in understanding your directions

Barbara said...

How extraordinary! I've never heard of this! I liked your drawing and am anxious to try it!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You very good husband, dad and your mum.

May be you patent your soup.

Do you used black chicken?

Pete said...

Sonia : Agree , very tasty

Manglish : Bak hu real easy to make....next round come back can tar pau to Hiroshima...LOL!

Ling : I like it too

Pfx : Ha ha, agree, they have been biking all day...

STP : Commercial ones sure put everything inside to save cost.

smallkucing : Drink a lot sure become chubby chubby wan....

Angie : Welcome..

Claire : Zebra brand is good can last

TasteofBeirut : Try it, real nice

Mary : Wah, active Badminton player...need double chicken inside...LOL!

Alice : Wah, confinement get to eat all the good stuff....

Willie : I checked out your new blog but it is loading real slow leh...


Wenn: Oh, sorry to hear that. But it is quite easy to make.

Pam : Good for health

Christine : I drew it using MS Paint....LOL

Barbara : Thks for dropping by my blog....very healthy dish

Sharon : Good for young ladies like you also...

Ann : Black chicken would be a little too small. Black chicken is more suitable for cooking with Chinese herbs....I used kampung chicken (free range) chicken for this one.

[SK] said...

awww, interesting!! i guess this is how Brand's make the chicken essense?? hmmm, maybe they add in more things.. :p

Pete said...

SK : I would want to visit their factory one day to find out...LOL!

chicken rice recipe said...

LOVED it.

It was very easy, and when I plugged it into Sparkpeople was surprised at how low the calories were considering the ingredients.

Sasha Tan said...

wah this one very "POU"

Ayie said...

i learned something new today =)

Anonymous said...

wow, u've made it from scratch with malay/ kampung chicken...
what a superior stock...