Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Indian Saree - Lovely Traditional Dress, How to Wear

The Saree (Sari, Shari) is a very lovely Indian female garment and has been around for hundred of years. It consists of a strip of unstiched cloth that is draped over the body. The sari is worn over a petticoat (Pavada, shaya) and with a blouse (cholo, ravika). There are many styles of wearing the saree. Some of the commons ones are Tamil Nadu Nivi, Gujarati, Dravidian, Bengali, Madisaara, Maharashtrian, Kodagu and also tribal style. The nivi is the most popular style today; the drape starts with one end of the sari tucked into the waistband of the petticoat. The cloth is wrapped around the lower body once, then hand-gathered into even pleats just below the navel. The pleats are also tucked into the waistband of the petticoat. The loose end is drape over the shoulder after one turn over the waist. My wife bought this beautiful saree(Not a saree actually, Sameera says that it is a Ghagra. Thanks for correcting me, Sameera) for my daughter on one of her trips to India. My daughter looks cute in it but she is shy and does not want me to publish her photo here. Here is a cute video showing how to wear a saree.

17 comments:

Calvin Soo KJ said...

cute bro.....hahahaha. wouldnt want my wife to wear a saree. look at the amount of cloth she has to wear? oh my gosh....

Pete said...

Calvin : Saree very nice. Sure looks pretty on you cute wife lorrr!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, saree very nice. I owned one, given by my friend's mom when I was in form 5. But takes a lot of time to wear a saree. i cannot wear saree without other people helping me. LOL

Sameera Ansari said...

Oooh I would love to see a pic of your li'l girl wearing it! :)

Btw,the dress in the pic is a "ghagra",not a saree.

Beverly's Secret said...

The way she speaks in indian slang is sooo hilarious... I never wear a saree before, guess i should try :)

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha!!! Calvin's comment so funny! Aiyor! Kids restless and active, shouldn't make them wear such outfits lah! Can buy those with pants instead!

Pete said...

Cleff : You can get your hubby to watch the video, then can help u to wear it lorrr, Ha Ha.

Sameera : Thks for correcting me. I have already put up the correction in my post.

Beverly : You will look beautiful in a saree!

suituapui : Yeah, Calvin comment is always very funny. LOL

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hey thanks for dropping by my blog. the saree is lovely..i like the colour :D btw, your blog is very interesting :D

Kikey Loo said...

wow... who is that model?
too bad, i only can watch 2 second of the video... i guess is my pc problem..

Roses said...

wearing saree takes a lot of effort and when you are in one, you tend to walk extra careful, cause i would be scared if that one piece of cloth suddenly crumbled down (not tie properly)
lol

ghagra looks easy to slip-on...

Pete said...

Mommy : Thks for visiting. I like your blog too. Adding your to my reader list.

Pete said...

Kikey : The model is real funny. I found the video in utube.

Rose : Aiyo, like that how to dance around the coconut tree bollywood style. Ha Ha. LOL

Jeeves said...

Cute. Please try and post one pic of daughter with saree.

Jeeves said...

Cute. Please try and post one pic of daughter with saree.

Pete said...

Hi Jeeves, I will negotiate with her tonight, maybe bribe her a bit with her favourite candy. LOL

eunice said...

I watched the whole clip, really funny yet informative!!! Next you can sell saree here! XD

I'm going to show my Chennai friend this clip now! XD

Sameera Ansari said...

You are welcome! :)