Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Here Birdie, Birdie. Feeding Time! Common Millet (Panicum miliaceum) and Red Turtle Neck (Streptopelia tranquebarica)

Heyyyyyy, this is not a post about how to cook common millets or simply known as bird seeds! Ever since I started feeding these wild birds, they will wait for me at my house gate every late afternoon. They seem to know the time that I will come out and feed them. I bought this packet of common millet from the pet shop at RM1.80. Common house sparrows (Scientific name, Passer domesticus) love this type of bird seeds. The number of bird that turned up during feeding time seems to increase day by day. Even the red turtle dove (Burung terkukur, scientific name Streptopelia tranquebarica) that used to nest at the pillar in my porch is coming to feed on these seeds. These are great song birds and are very much sought after especially in Indonesia. Well, I guess it is better to feed these wild birds rather that putting them in cages, so that they can still roam and fly freely. Opps, here comes Toby the cat........watch out birds!

My neighbour's cute cat!

Related post about Birds 1) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2008/10/asian-koel-black-glossy-starling-and.html 2) http://peteformation.blogspot.com/2008/09/albino-common-myna-bird-one-in-million.html

11 comments:

ladyviral said...

chirp chirp chirp...

and the kitty strikes!

ladyviral said...

lovely pictures! Furry fluffy poofy cat too! hehe

Chris said...

The cat so cute~

Pete said...

ladyviral : This kitty is too chubby already, cannot catch bird, he he he!

Chris : He has grown bigger now!

mommyscchoo@gmail.com said...

good idea on feeding wild birds, you dont hv to keep them as pets, yet you still get the feeling of owning them (in a way)

wenn said...

it's nice to look at birds..I always admire birds..

Pete said...

Mommy : True, better let them lead a free life!

Wenn : It can be a very relaxing hobby!

Tching said...

The cat looks very "garang" to me.

Pete said...

Tching : Actually it look garang only, when see me always run away! ha ha ha!

Ayie said...

wow so nice of you to feed all those birdies =) we have lots of birds at home, my dad breeds parakeets, chibi regras, african lotino & cockatiel

Pete said...

Ayie : Wow, that are many varieties your dad have there!