Thursday, March 4, 2010

Quickie Fried Curry Stingray Recipe


I bought this big stingray cut from the Kepong Baru wet market. First, I thought of cooking Nyonya curry with it but then somehow I decided to fry it instead. Anyway I was also out of lady fingers to go with the curry. My eldest son likes stingray very much, I guess not only it is tasty but there are no sharp bones but cartilages in stingray! Then I cut some chili padi (bird eye chili), add in some light soya sauce and lime juice as dipping sauce for the stingray! Mmmmm, nice Stingray!

Ingredients
Stingray cut, 1 piece, 500 gms
Curry powder, 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon
Lime juice from 2 limes (limau nipis)
Salt to taste
Serai (lemongrass), optional, 1 pc, pounded into paste

Marinade the stingray with all the ingredients. Put it aside for around 20 minutes. Heat up wok and put in some vegetable oil. I used non-stick pan convenience sake. Fry the stingray with slow heat at first then high heat when it is about to be well done. You can also grill, bake or barbecue the stingray. It tastes great no matter how you cook it! LOL!

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I am not sure I ever had stingray before...looks seriously delicious!

Reanaclaire said...

stingray ... long time i didnt eat already.. normally i cook with assam curry.. but if eaten outside, it would be grilled..

ChloeRuoyi said...

Yummy! I haven't eaten this in a long time..

catty said...

Oh My God. you've just made me drool on my keyboard. I haven't had sting ray in SUCH A LONG TIME... like, decades. I miss it so much just covered in curry paste and grilled. Or BBQ'd!

Christine said...

I have some basa fillet that I think I will bake like this tomorrow! Thanks for the idea. I can deal with 4 ingredients, lazy me.

Namitha said...

Never had sting ray..It looks so good ,Pete :-)

smallkucing said...

Nvr had fried punya...so far always grill. Nxt time must buy and cuba fry.

Ayie said...

you really like that fish!

suituapui said...

Yup, frying is also good. Here, the ethnic people smoke it - they call it ikan salai! Very nice!!!

tuti said...

fry with the curry paste, will the curry go all over the oil? then later drain the oil ah? or the oil become curry flavored, haha.
i'm so curious i had to ask.
mind you, i waited a day to see if my curiosity bated. apparently not.

Pete said...

Angie : Sting ray meat is nice!

Claire : I like grilled and assam stingray too....nice!

Chloe : Time to get some stingray from the wet market!

Catty : I think it would be hard to get stingray sold commercially there.

Gulmohar : Nice and easy to cook!

Christine : Bake would be more healthy....happy cooking! LOL!

Smallkucing : Fried ones taste equally good!

Ayie : My favourite fish, no bones only cartilage...LOL!

STP : Smokey smell nice leh!

Tuti : Hah, that is why I used nonstick pan....only very little oil needed!