Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spicy Kam Heong Crab Recipe – Fresh!


These flower crabs were still alive and swimming in the bucket at the fishmonger stall when I bought them. Fresh flower crabs are very sweet if you cook it immediately after you cut and clean them. Kam Heong crab is one of the most popular dishes in many seafood restaurants. The kam heong sauce is spicy, sweet and has a very nice aroma. Kam Heong lala (shellfish) is also one of my favourite dishes and I prefer it cook this way rather than steaming. Ok, back to the crabs! After cutting and cleaning them, I drain the excess water away because I wanted to fry it dry with the kam heong gravy. Imagine all the nice gravy sticking to the crabs when you eat them! Delicious! LOL!

Ingredients
Crab, 1 kg, cut and cleaned, drain away excess water
Oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons
Dried Prawns, 2 tablespoons
Shallots, 5 pcs, chopped finely
Dark soya sauce, ½ teaspoon
Chili paste, 1 tablespoon
Bird Eye Chilli (Cili padi), 3 pcs, cut into thin slices
Sugar to taste Salt to taste
Curry leaves from 2 stalks
Curry powder, 1 teaspoon
Corn flour and water mixture

Heat up wok and put in around 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Sautéed dried prawns, shallots, chilli paste and curry powder until fragrant. Lower down the heat. Add in oyster sauce, dark soya sauce, bird eye chilli, salt, sugar and curry leaves. Put a little water if the gravy becomes too dry. Turn up the heat and put in the crab. Add in the corn flour and water mixture. Fry until the crab turn red. Serve while still hot!
Copyright Material of Peteformation Foodie Adventure

26 comments:

Namitha said...

I like crab, but never cooked them..wierd, isn't it :D

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

I second Gulmohar, even I never cook it at home. My grandma used to make this for us whenever we visited her.

Sarah Naveen said...

Spicy and yummy!!! Me too love crab!!!

fufu said...

damn i so far have never seen any crabs in the supermarkets here >< DHL me 10kg pls

smallkucing said...

seldom order Kam heong dishes coz hubby and son cant take much spicy food :(

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Its the same with me, like gulmohar.I haven't cooked crabs all by myself. Their claws freak me out. Maybe I should start somewhere...like crab cakes with pre-cleaned crabs.
Also glad that you liked my Veggie-pea stew @My Kitchen Antics.
Cheers,
Cool lassi(e)

Angie's Recipes said...

Another mouthwatering seafood dish from you!

cleffairy said...

I knew I'd regret coming here at 4.18am. *pengsan* All my fav food. :S Damn, i better go get some bfast!

suituapui said...

Not a fan of sea crabs... Would prefer mud crabs - huge ones! Love the pincers... Yumzzzz!!!

Reanaclaire said...

hi Pete.. i also posted flower crabs but not that i cook... hahaha.. flower crabs are sweet esp put in soup too.. only that not much flesh.. but i love them all the same!

manglish said...

crab is very hard to cook isnt it? it gets very watery rite?

Anonymous said...

Just had crabs cooked kam heong style on Sunday :)

Christine said...

oh this sounds so delicious...still haven't got the courage to buy live crabs yet!

mNhL said...

Same with suituapui...mud crab got more flesh. haha... Kam heong crab is one of my fav. Next time try marmite crab. Nice.

Donna said...

dunno how long x eat crab d.. expensive leh..

Verone said...

This is a must try dish...i love crabs :-)

Rebecca Saw said...

wahh u really rajin! Can cook and post it somemore!
I eat also not enough time! LOL.

Yes, I do like adding crabs into soups, esp steamboat. The sweetness of the soup is greatly enhanced ;)

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Whoaaaa! Crab again! Great recipe...:)

Suhaina said...

I love crab, looks so yummy.

Pete said...

Gulmohar : LOL! but cleaning the crabs can be a little messy!

RV : I want to visit your Grandma too....can I come along?....LOL!

Sarah : The flesh is nice and sweet....now I am thinking of eating crabs again.

Fufu : Can import some crabs and sell there lorr. Can charge high price! ha ha ha!

smallkucing : Must get them to try spicy food.....then everyone can enjoy together! Don't forget to invite me when u eat crab next time! I can eat their portion! ha ha ha!LOL!

Cool Lassie : Crab cakes would be a good start. Thks for dropping by here

Angie : Thks Angie!

Cleff : Wah, so late,,er so early haven't sleep ar? Hubby kept you awake leh?

STP : I love both mud crabs and sea crabs....semua sapu! LOL!

Reanaclaire : I put in porridge, nice!

Manglish : Many restaurant would deep fry the crab before cooking it with the gravy so that it will not turn watery....but can also make thick gravy using cornflour...

Mei Teng : Wah, didn't invite me wan? LOL!

Christine : Be careful of the pincers....live crab can be dangerous! LOL!

mnhl : Must get some marmite to try out the recipe.

Donna : KL many places selling RM18 or RM23 per kilo, cooked to your choice. How about Johor?

Hi Verone : Thks for dropping by. Tried to comment a few times at your blog Blogging Life but the word verification loaded halfway all the time. Hope you get the problem rectified.

thenomad : Wah, eat also not enough time....I help you to eat lor...ha ha ha!

Love2cook : ha ha, maybe this week buy again!

Suhana : Thks for dropping by. Hopping over to your blog now.....

cleffairy said...

=( I got sleep paralysis last night. Woke up gasping, after that cannot sleep liao, so blog hop lorrr... hubby out like lights. LOL...

I used to cook flower crabs...cook with tomato sauce and chillies...but these days, hard to get fresh and cheap ones, so never cook em oredi. :( High time I get some for my family. Hmmmm... see la, maybe tomorrow I go get some and cook.

mommy to chumsy said...

this looks yummy! but alas...no seafood for me :(

tuti said...

dunno how to eat crabs because too many tiny bits of shell. i don't mind eating roti dipped in the sauce. sedap!

WendyinKK said...

I think i'll be even better if u prefry the crab in oil.

Wish my husband can cook :)

Pete said...

cleff : wah, sleep also can get paralysis one meh?

Mommy : Ah, mommy on diet?

tuti : Aiyo, the bits and pieces really easy to handle lah! Nice to peel it off the succulent crabs.

wendyywy : That is another way to get rid of the water but a little messy to prefried it....LOL!

Sheryl0202 said...

wow, you are such a good cook!!!

feel so hungry looking at your post!