Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Simple Nyonya Curry Stingray Recipe

I have been frying and baking most of the stingrays that I bought from the wet market. It is time to make some spicy and sour Nyonya style curry with the stingray cut. I like stingray because it is rather easy to cook and also easily defrost because of its’ flat cum thin body structure. I cooked this nice curry sting ray dish for my brother and his family when he came to my house for dinner. I realised that I did not have okra (ladyfingers) in my fridge therefore I used long beans as a replacement. Well, I found out that long beans is a good replacement for okra due to its’ crunchy texture.

Ingredients
Stingray 400 gms, cut in to one inch pieces
Curry powder, 4 tablespoons (mix with water to form a paste)
Turmeric, 1 tablespoon (add into the curry paste)
Chilly boh (paste), 1 tablespoon
Shallots, 5 pcs, blended
Serai (lemongrass), 2 pcs, blended
Belachan (fermented shrimp paste), 1 teaspoon
Tamarind juice to taste
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Long Beans, 7 pcs, cut in to one inch length

Heat up wok and put in around 4 table spoons oil vegetable oil. Turn the heat to low; sautéed shallots, turmeric, curry, serai, belachan, and chilly boh until fragrant. Add stingray and long beans. Pour in some water just enough to cover the stingray cut. Bring to a boil. Add in the tamarind juice, salt and sugar to taste.
Copyright Material of Peteformation Foodie Adventure

14 comments:

Namitha said...

Never had this before..I think I have a lot to learn from you, Pete :D

Angie's Recipes said...

A very appetizing and heartwarming dish!

smallkucing said...

You been cooking lotsa stingray lately. wassup?

Christine said...

Pete you're such a good cook, sounds delicious. I think my family's getting tired of the way I bake everything (lazy)

tuti said...

i think all your close relatives love to visit you because you will later cook nice dishes for them to eat before they leave for home.

suituapui said...

Smallkucing: He probably bought one big stingray and is now cooking it bit by bit slowly! LOL!!!

manglish said...

i was waiting for the comment box to load and then suddenly this comes to mind "If Pete Can Cook, So Can YOU!!" haahaaah ehhh good title for your up and coming cook book, remember to pay me copywriting fee hor hahahaha

Anonymous said...

wow..I can imagine having this dish with a steaming bowl of rice. Yum! :)

mNhL said...

I like stringray but sometimes they have some kind of ammonia smell. Do you know why?

Pete said...

Gulmohar : Stingray is nice but a little unhealthy because of its urea content.

Angie : Agree, Thks

smallkucing : Stingray, nice!

Christine : But baking is healtier

Tuti : Ha ha ha, I think so...LOL!

STP : Maybe caught a big stingray, LOL!

Manglish : Wah, that is Chef Martin Yan tagline lah....he will come after me leh! ha ha ha!

Mei Teng : Nice with rice....yummy!

mnhl : If the fishmonger don't remove the liver properly, then if the liver fluid seep into the meat then have amonia smell, no matter what you do also cannot remove liao!

xin said...

if the stingray is very fresh, u can just steam it and put some chili padi on top, it tastes heavenly!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Oh, yummy, with this, one bowl rice is not enough!

Pete said...

xin : Agree, fresh ones, if steamed real nice!

Sonia : Ha ha, same like me....I like stingray curry!

mNhL said...

Thanks for the answer. All the while, I thought the stringray is a female as some people said, male one don't have smell. Haha...