Monday, March 22, 2010

Sweet Longan Candied Winter Melon (冬瓜糖, Tang Kua, Tong Kua) Dessert Recipe (Vegetarian)

I was clearing my fridge and found some leftover candied winter melons (冬瓜糖, Tang Kua, Tong Kwa) that I used to make longan drinks. Since it is a hot day, I thought it would be nice to have some sweet tong sui (sweet drinks) for dessert after eating my home cooked kueh teow soup with lots of chilli boh in it! Longan (Mata kucing (cat eye) in Malay; direct translation to English, Dragon Eye; simplified Chinese: 龙眼; traditional Chinese: 龍眼, Vietnamese: Long Nhãn) strengthens the spleen and also nourishes the blood. The balance the sweetness and taste of candied winter melons I used some red dates which is a little heaty and also good in improving Qi! For some additional aroma and flavour, I put in around 7 pieces of sweet Chinese Preserved Dates (mutt cho)!

Ingredients
Candied Winter Melon, 1 rice bowl
Longan, 15 pcs
Red Dates (Ang Cho), 10 pcs
Mutt Cho (Chinese Preserved dates), 7 pcs
Water, 7 bowls or more if you don’t want it to be too sweet

Put water in bowl and bring to a boil. Add in all the ingredients and boil for 1 hour. Serve hot or chilled! Copyright Material of Peteformation Foodie Adventure

6 comments:

Yee Ling said...

Yumm..i love tong sui. wat's more serve in chill!!

xin said...

i love cooking dessert like this, easy, no oil, and...hardly go wrong :D

smallkucing said...

I love this thong sui too

Suhaina said...

Hi Pete,
I love Chinese halal and malay food very much. Cheng Teng is my favourite. I have not tried this. Maybe I will make this myself.Thanks for the wonerful recipe. Following you........

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This tong sui is good and refreshing .

Namitha said...

New for me..but I'll like it for sure :-)