Friday, March 5, 2010

Spicy Kung Po Prawn with Pineapple Recipe

I like kung po style gravy very much. It goes along very well with many types of seafood and meat. The dried chillies that are used in this dish would soak up all the tasty gravy and I love chewing it! I did not use cashew nut because I don’t have it in stock and I rarely cook dishes that require the use of it. Kung po paddy frog is a dish that I normally order sometime when I eat in restaurants but I found that it is not easy to get local paddy frog these days. The one being sold are imported species which is green in colour and they are not as sweet as our local species! Ok, back to the prawn dish! I did not deep fry the prawns before adding in the gravy but I think the dish would taste much better if I did.

Ingredients
Prawns, large 400 gms (skin intact, you might want to deep fry the prawns first for better aroma before adding it into the gravy)
Ginger, 6 slices
Garlic, 3 cloves, chopped finely
Onion, 1 pc, cut into four
Spring onions, 2 stalks, cut into 1 inch length
Dried Chillies, 5 pcs, soaked in water to remove seeds
Oyster sauce, 1 table spoon
Soya sauce, 2 table spoons
Dark soya sauce, 1 tablespoon
Pineapple, 10 pcs
Salt to taste
A dash of sesame oil
Cashew nuts, ½ cup (optional)

Deep fry prawns and put aside. Heat up wok and put in around 2 table spoons of vegetable oil. Sautéed ginger, garlic, dried chillies and onions until fragrant. Add in the soya sauce, dark soya sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and salt to taste. Add in the deep fried prawns, spring onions, cashew nuts and pineapple. Put in a little corn flour mixed with water to make the ingredients in the dish shiny for presentation purposes! Serve the kung po prawns with pineapple dish hot with steamed rice!
Copyright Material of Peteformation Foodie Adventure

12 comments:

manglish said...

yeah i like kung po too but with seafood like prawn the gravy can get a little too watery sometimes :)

Anonymous said...

I would like the prawns to be de-shelled before serving? :) Haha...otherwise, I am just too lazy to eat prawns. I like 'kung po' style dishes. They're tasty.

wenn said...

definitely would be my favorite too! i love prawns and pineapple!

Velva said...

What a creative and flavorful dish. Thanks for sharing.

tuti said...

i came here to order food.
food i tell ya! faitit! :P
i was boasting about your instant curry mee feat to my colleague, haha.
i am your fansi wor.

Yee Ling said...

I have a pack of prawns lying in my fridge. Wondering if i can work out this Kung Po..hmm

Pete said...

Manglish : It won't if you deep fried the prawns first, happy trying!

Mei Teng : My kids too, they want the prawn de shelled...LOL!

Wenn : Prawns , pineapple and cashew nuts make good combi!

Velva : thks

tuti : Ha ha, wah, my instant curry mee famous liao! Tuti try to cook, I go to Spore and eat! I am honoured....got fansi...ha ha ha!

Mommy Ling : I think it would be nixer if you deep fry the prawns first...like Manglish says prawns tends to go watery! Happy trying!

My Little Things Corner said...

I like it too...yummy yummy, can eat 2 bowl of rice.

smallkucing said...

wahh...looks so easy to do :D

suituapui said...

Not really a fan of kung po - don't really find it that special, so very nice, must eat one...but prawns in any style, I like!!! Drool!!!

Pete said...

MLTC : wah, 2 bowls, more terror than me leh! ha ha ha!

smallkucing : Kung po actually quite easy to cook

STP : Agree, prawns taste good no matter how you cook it! LOL!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This prawn dish makes me salivated!