Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sausage and Bak Kua (Sweet bbq meat) Rolls Recipe


I tried to make sausage roll after reading It’s Raining Icecream and My Kitchen Snippets blogs. I did not follow the exact measurement but I used 3 cups of flour which was just enough for me to make six sausage rolls and four bak kua (sweet bbq meat) rolls. Actually 4 cups would be ideal to make the sausage to have more bread body. Anyway the bread turned out quite nice in taste but I am not good in making the little patterns on it, so my sausage rolls are not as nice looking as compared to the ones you see in It’s Raining Icecream and My Kitchen Snippets blogs. My kids love the bak kua version and they finished off them real fast.

Ingredients
Flour, 4 cups
Yeast, 1 teaspoon
Sugar, 3 table spoons
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Butter, 20 gms
Water
Shortening, 2 table spoons
Sausage, 8 pcs
Bak Kua, 4 pcs

Put yeast, sugar, salt, butter and shortening into the flour. Mix well and slowly add water into it until the mixture forms bread dough. Continue kneading the dough from around 20 minutes. Cover the dough with a towel to let it rise for around 2 hours. Divide the dough into equal size around 2 inches in diameter. There are two version of pattern you can make. First is to flatten the dough into an oval shape with a rolling pin. Then cut the side of the flatten dough a shown in the photo. Then put the sausage on it and fold the dough in a criss cross pattern. The second method which is easier, first roll the dough into a long strip. Then use the long dough to wrap the sausage. After you have finish wrapping the dough around all the bak kua and sausages, let it proof (prove, dough rise for second time) for around at lease half and hour. Then bake them in a preheated oven at 180 Dec C for 15 minutes.
The dough before and after yeast fermentation!
The first method of wrapping the sausage
The second method of wrapping the sausage.
My bak kua roll ready to for proofing and baking!
Copyright Material of Peteformation Foodie Adventure

15 comments:

JUNE (An Asian Traveler) said...

Yummy! I want to have my breakfast now! :)

xin said...

u r such an amazing father!!! i also know how to make bak kua bread....i just put a slice of bak kua in between 2 slices of bread :D

Annie Q said...

i love the bak kua version too! yum yum!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You can make bread too!

smallkucing said...

Looks a bit burnt but i like burnt punya..nicer taste

tuti said...

like everyone who reads this, you are a great family man! every wife and kids love a dad like that!
now may i have a bak kwa bread too?

foongpc said...

Wow! This is yummy!!! : )

Ayie said...

i also made something like that but i used ham instead

manglish said...

cool cool cool....just cool hahhaaah

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Pete, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment :)

May I suggest for the wrapping, try to roll the strips longer next time so that they overlap each other when folding.

You may check out my pics here:

http://blessedhomemaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/sausage-bread.html

Pete said...

June : Ok, breakfast is served.

Xin : Ha ha, your version is easier to make....I like it also! LOL!

Annie Q : My kids sapu all, next time have to make more bak kua ones

Sonia : Simply hentam wan lah, luckilly nice to eat! LOL!

small kucing : The bak kua already slightly burn so, when put in oven to bake, lagi teruk!LOL!

Tuti: Thks, sure one bread coming up!

Foongpc : Luckilly, they turned out nice!

Ayie : Good idea, next time I try ham!

Manglish : Really cool, I am cool dad mah! ha ha ha!

Blessed homemaker : Thks for the tips, will definately do that next time....ok, hopping over to your site now!

Rebecca Saw said...

aiyo.. cant wait to meet u man. Ya my hero. can cook, can BAKE BREAD (I LOVE BREAD)!! and can make desserts!
Lucky kids u got man! ;p

My Little Space said...

Wow, so proud of you! My brother like cooking too but not baking! Keep on the good work, Pete. I'm sure you can come out more fun & delicious food for your kids.

mommy to chumsy said...

wow the bak kwa bread sure look delicious. now i'm drooling.

Ice said...

Hey Pete, Very creative there. Wrap with bak kwa!